Welcome to Julia Kiniski School! Our staff is a group of dedicated and caring professionals, who are committed to providing excellent educational programming for all students. We value a positive school climate where each student feels safe and where the uniqueness of each individual is respected. Our school has a strong history of guiding students to achieve their best academically, socially, emotionally, mentally, and physically. Teachers work with students daily to help them to develop the skills, knowledge and positive attitudes necessary to become responsible, respectful, caring, and contributing citizens.
Our focus is on Success for Every Student! Staff work together as a team to make this happen, by developing literacy skills for the 21st century. In a rapidly evolving digital age, literacy learning goes beyond learning the basics or memorizing facts. It involves developing skills in communication, working together, sharing space together, emotional regulation, self-direction, leadership, global awareness, cultural literacy, information access, inquiry skills, critical and creative thinking, and problem solving.
In 2016-17, we are pleased to provide the following programming:
- Grades K-6 programming which follows the Alberta provincial curriculum
- Balanced literacy programming that includes guided reading, literacy centres, and novel study
- French as a Second Language, Grades 4-6
- Daily physical activities
- An excellent music program and school choir, with performances at Christmas, Spring Volunteer Appreciation, and Zone Music Festival
- Modern technology integration – wireless technology, SMARTboards in all classes, chromebooks and iPads for classroom use
- The Franklin Covey Foundation, ‘Leader in MeTM’ Program, Year 5
- Daily announcements written and presented by student leaders via JKTV video broadcasting
- Extracurricular activities, including running club, choir, and intramurals
- Student Leadership opportunities through AMA safety patrols, news announcers, Club Moo milk program, library helpers, a recycle club, intramurals, Student Council, and a buddy program
- Daily lunch supervision available, for a monthly fee, for children who need to stay for lunch
- Artist in Residence - Lucas Coffey drummer extraordinaire!
We are grateful to have:
- Parents and families who work together with teachers, to provide the best for their children!
- A School Council, of engaged, supportive parents and community members
- A long standing partnership with the Julia Kiniski Education Society, who support enriched learning opportunities and enhanced resources for our school
- Barrier free access and an Inclusive Learning Support Team
- Support for students through Edmonton Public Schools Inclusive Learning Services which includes access to a speech language therapist, an occupational therapist, a mental health therapist, a physical therapist, social worker, a school nurse and academic specialists.
- A partnership with Edmonton Police Services, and a police constable who helps to keep us safe!
- Tiny Treasures Playschool and Before/After School Care on site 780-486-4066
- Denford Park Playschool next door at the Burnewood Community League 780-886-6453
Our school’s motto is Together we learn, together we grow! This motto is lived daily, through the teaching and learning in classrooms; opportunities for social interaction; a focus on healthy living and daily physical activity; ongoing assessments that inform our work with students; regular communication between home and school; and through building an ongoing, collaborative, professional learning culture with staff.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your child’s teacher, or the school office, at 780-462-4622.
Together we learn, together we grow!